Looking for Eco- Friendly Flooring Choices?
Trent and our Trusted team at Regina's Flooring Superstores have established a strong and loyal customer base through
our commitment to excellent customer service. By being part of the powerful buying group that is the Flooring Superstores chain, we are also
able to provide quality Regina flooring at unbeatable prices. In our latest flooring article we discuss Eco-Friendly
flooring, and share our top 5 choices!
What is Eco-Friendly Flooring?
It is any flooring that is sustainable, eco-friendly, contains recycled content, is recyclable, leaves a small carbon footprint or has low
VOC’s (Volatile Organic Compound). There are different degrees of green when referring to different types of flooring.
- Better than a renewable resource because it is a harvested resource (only the bark is harvested from the tree)
- A recycled product because cork floors are made from the waste cork that makes wine stoppers.
A law in the 1930’s called “The 9 Year Law” was passed to keep cork from being harvested any sooner than every 9 years. The tree has to
reach 60 cm in circumference before it can be harvested. The first harvest from a cork tree can only occur at age 25.
- The tree is not destroyed or damaged when harvesting cork.
- To complete the environmentally sound process, water based finishes and adhesives should be used.( see info at end)
- Bamboo is a rapidly renewing resource that matures in three years
- It regenerates without need for replanting
- It also requires minimal fertilization or pesticides
There currently is no FSC certified bamboo so it is important to see what you can confirm about the bamboo you are interested in before
- Natural Resource
- Suitable for a “healthy home” environment
- Forests are managed for replanting.
Carpet - this may be a surprise!
According to the Carpet and Rug Institute: The carpet industry is minimizing carpet’s impact on the environment through the new “3 Rs” which
stand for reduce, reuse and recycle. When carpet reaches the end of its long life, it is reused to make new carpet or is recycled into a
variety of products, ranging from roofing shingles and railroad ties to automotive parts.
- Factors that determine if carpet is “green”: carpet fibers, toxics content, dye, VOC emissions, and recycled content.
The Green Label and Green Label Plus from the Carpet and Rug Institute ensure that customers are purchasing among the lowest emitting
carpet, adhesive and cushion products on the market.
- Made from all natural materials
The natural raw materials used to create Linoleum are available in abundance: linseed oil, rosin, wood flour, cork flour, ecologically
responsible pigments and jute.
These raw materials are harvested or extracted with relatively little energy consumption. The main energy resource for the process is the
sun. The plants and trees that supply linoleum's raw materials also contribute to the production of oxygen and the subsequent reduction of
carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, thus reducing the amount of greenhouse gasses present in the atmosphere.
- Can be recycled
- The energy obtained from incinerating linoleum is roughly equivalent to or even more than that which is used in production.
Linoleum can be safely added to landfill refuse sites, where natural decomposition takes place. Linoleum is fully biodegradable and does not
release harmful substances or gases such as chlorine and dioxins
- Does not require maintenance from harmful chemicals
- Linoleum contains virtually no trace of toxic material and is naturally beneficial to air quality
Adhesives are just as important to consider when purchasing flooring as the flooring itself. Adhesives with harmful toxins can damage indoor
air quality by giving off harmful gasses.
Tips for Adhesives:
- Choose low VOC’s (Volatile Organic Compounds)
- Do not contain formaldehyde
- Qualify for the Carpet and Rug Institutes Indoor Air Quality green label
- Once installed, floors still give off gas compounds
- Less durable floors have to be replaced more often
- High maintenance floors use more harsh chemicals
Consider floors that don’t have to be refinished
Products we offer.
FLOORING SUPERSTORE is TRUSTED REGINA FLOORING STORE